Τρίτη 29 Σεπτεμβρίου 2009

"Living in Bath..." by Dominic


When I arrived in Bath last September, I didn't need much time to understand that I was outside the real world. Which city has the architecture that Bath has? I would live one year in another era. Which city has such an amount of students? I would live one year in a big student campus which was expanded in the whole city and not just inside my university.

First of all, I would like to be excused for the fact that I am writing in English, but this article addresses to non-Greek speakers as well. Before starting to read this article I would like you to put the video below playing...



For all of you that lived in this city, it will take you seconds to understand the reason why I put this video. Every time I went to the city there was a man, very much a-like Bob Marley, who was singing only one song, "No woman no cry"... Therefore, this is the song that comes to my mind when I think of Bath...


If I had to think which flavor Bath is, I would pick chocolate. The reason? "Ben and Jerry's". "Ben and Jerry's" is an ice-cream brand with various flavors. In Bath, after having dinner somewhere in the city, you could go to the pizza delivery shop "Sulis" and take a big "Ben and Jerry's" with a chocolate flavor. One option was to eat it with your friends standing in front of the bus stop, waiting for the orange bus to come and take you back to the campus... Or alone in the night while trying to write an assignment!


If I had to think of the weather in Bath, I would pick light-rain. This is the weather 80% of the year. Every day I had to walk from my room to the classroom. The class was many times 9:15 in the morning. The alarm clock was set at 8:45. I would walk through this light rain that made the green scenery of the University of Bath have the scent of a clean atmosphere. Next stop "Costa Coffee" for a hot cappuccino latte and then straight to the class with a five-minute delay!


If I had to pick a place inside the city of Bath I would pick "Sally Lunn's". A place with famous buns. This is a place where traditional English people with an age average of 80 years old went to drink tea, eat a bun and remain almost totally silent! The reason why I remember this place is because we picked it many times for breakfast. And I don't remember it only for the amazing "Jane Austen" coffee, or the chocolate bun. I remember it because when we went there we were 5 times louder than everybody else. We were observed as if we were aliens... This atmosphere was so amusing to us that we could go there on and on again!


Food? There were many restaurants inside the city offering food with almost nice taste, high price and tiny portion. My choice would be "Sulis" pizza! One half/half margharita-mushroom pizza, garlic bread, chicken wings and "Sprite". Those where the essentials for watching our favorite team, those where the essentials for playing "FIFA 2009", those where the essentials for doing a group assignment...


If I had to pick three photo-clicks in Bath, those would be the following. First of all, the bus station in front of the river. The scenery is like a fairy-tale. An amazing river, a city with unique architecture and natural beauty. Bath is from Unesco a World Heritage Site. Second click, would be the main street which included most of the shops. A street with a great vibe where you would usually find the "No woman no cry" singer... Last click would be inside the "Woodland court" kitchen. All together, cooking, singing, laughing... If someone has lived in Bath as a student, it is impossible to forget it... Above all, it is the feeling that it gives you... A feeling of youth...


by Dominic

4 σχόλια:

  1. "impossible to forget"...this is OUR lovely Bath...

    great job Dominic x x x

    (i am Maria and i am a shopaholic :P)

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  2. bravo dom!! kataferes na me siginiseis!

    xxxx

    (I am Elian and I am a chocaholic :))

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή
  3. Well done Dom... life in Bath was the real "fairy tale' that we all lived and it will always remain our dream world..thank you for writing this in English xxxxx

    (i am Sarah and I am in love with the fairy tale :) eurovision 2009!)

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή